Catherine P. Koshland
UC Berkeley SRP Deputy Directory
Leader, Project 5: Nanotechnology-based environmental sensing
Leader, Core A: Administration
Leader, Core E: Training
Tel: (510) 643-4193
Fax: (510) 642-9483
Vice-Provost, Academic Planning and Facilities
222 California Hall, MC 1500
Berkeley, CA 94720-1500
Dr. Koshland’s research is at the intersection of energy, air pollution and environmental (human) health. It is conducted at multiple scales, from mechanistic analyses of combustion products in flow reactors to control strategies in urban airsheds. Her combustion research has focused on pollutant formation particularly involving chlorinated hydrocarbons and particulates, and the development of advanced diagnostic tools for non-intrusive monitoring of combustion species including chlorinated hydrocarbons, metals and particles. She has worked in green manufacturing and industrial ecology, addressing the conception and assessment of environmental and health dimensions to improve energy and manufacturing technologies.
- Tian L, Dai S, Wang J, Huang Y, Ho SC, Zhou Y, Lucas D, Koshland CP. Nanoquartz in Late Permian C1 coal and the high incidence of female lung cancer in the Pearl River Origin area: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2008 Dec 2;8:398.
- Holder AL, Lucas D, Goth-Goldstein R, Koshland CP. Cellular response to diesel exhaust particles strongly depends on the exposure method. Toxicol Sci. 2008 May;103(1):108-15. Epub 2008 Jan 27. Erratum in: Toxicol Sci. 2008 Jul;104(1):234. dosage error in text.
- Tian L, Lucas D, Fischer SL, Lee SC, Hammond SK, Koshland CP. Particle and gas emissions from a simulated coal-burning household fire pit. Environ Sci Technol. 2008 Apr 1;42(7):2503-8.
- Holder AL, Lucas D, Goth-Goldstein R, Koshland CP. Inflammatory response of lung cells exposed to whole, filtered, and hydrocarbon denuded diesel exhaust. Chemosphere. 2007 Nov;70(1):13-9. Epub 2007 Sep 4.
- Fischer SL, Koshland CP. Daily and peak 1 h indoor air pollution and driving factors in a rural Chinese village. Environ Sci Technol. 2007 May 1;41(9):3121-6.